MSO12101 - The Gables Carvery, 33 High Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Probably early 18th century with later alterations. Stucco, slate roofs, brick chimney stacks. Two storeys, plus attics. Two gables with moulded copings, pilasters, moulded string courses, sash windows with glazing bars, 2-light windows to gables. Segmental head to dormer window. Shouldered architraves with cornices. Cornice on consoles to ground floor windows. Central doorway with segmental pediment, pilasters, consoles, plain semi-circular fanlight. Modern door, doorway to left with semi-circular moulded architrave, keystone, traceried fanlight, modern door.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264692. First Listed on 04/08/1983.  The building is situated within Dunster's Conservation Area. The 2002 Character Appraisal states that "Nos. 33 & 35 have good frontages; the former is stuccoed having gables with moulded copings, pilasters and moulded string courses."  Pevsner advises "the house opposite [the Luttrell Arms] has two orders of angle pilasters and two gables. It may be of c.1700, altered."  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is depicted but not labelled on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p21.
- <4> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. p158.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39132 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9912 4382 (24m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/60
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34960
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 2:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.