MSO12094 - The Crooked Window, 7 High Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Probably 18th century with later alterations. Pantile roof, render, mock half- timbering to 1st floor. Two storeys. Two windows, sashes with glazing bars, exposed frames. Ground floor has two fixed-light square bays with small panelled 1 doors and bays.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264685. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  The building is situated within Dunster's Conservation Area.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building was subject to dendrochrological dating in 2015 by Tree-Ring Services, providing a felling date range of 1444-76. The building runs north to south, on the west side of the High Street. Internally, the roof is of two bays with three jointed cruck trusses, which show some light smoke blackening. The trusses have cranked collars but lack braces or mouldings. The roof has two tiers of trenched purlins and a ridge purlin, and the apexes are of type E; the crucks were trestle sawn. Dating commissioned by Tim Taylor, as part of Dunster Dig Village. [5,6] The building is depicted on 2018 MasterMap data but is not labelled. 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p21.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM8453 Article in serial: Alcock, A. and Tyers, C.. 2016. Tree-ring date lists 2016. Vernacular Architecture. 47:1. 69-106. 73-4.
- <6> SEM8731 Report: Moir, A.. 2015. Dendrochronological analysis of oak timbers from three cruck buildings in Dunster, Somerset, England. 1, 6-7, 12-18, 22-24.
- <7>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39130 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9915 4371 (18m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/04/1953
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34953
Record last edited
Apr 9 2021 9:48AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.