MSO12093 - Castle Hotel, 5 High Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Late 18th century rough-cast, slate roof, eaves, four hipped casement dormers. Two storeys plus attics. Seven windows, sashes with glazing bars, cambered head openings. Central recessed panelled door, wooden open pediment on brackets and pilasters. Plinth, 1st floor band, end pilasters. Contiguous two storey wing to right-hand with slightly higher roof level, one dormer. Wide cambered-headed archway, square 3-light oriel window with 19th century sashes to first floor right-hand.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264684. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  The building is situated within Dunster's Conservation Area.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and labelled "The Hall".  2018 MasterMap data depicts the building, which is labelled "5". 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p21.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39129 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9915 4370 (25m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/52
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34952
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 3:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.