MSO12074 - Nos 26 and 28 Church Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
17th century with later alterations. Rubble, pantiles, eaves, end gables, brick end chimney stack, tall square rubble front stack on exposed chimney breast. Two-storeys. 4 windows, leaded iron casements in wood frames, one sash. Later pentice hoods to ground floor windows.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264665. First Listed on 06/11/1975.  The 2002 Conservation Area Character Assesssment for Dunster states "nos. 26 and 28 are 17th Century of stone rubble with pantile roof with brick end stack and a tall, square, stone rubble front stack. The windows, like many in Dunster, are mainly leaded iron casements in timber frames."  The buildings were visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  The building was subject to dendrochronological dating in 2015 by Tree-Ring Services, providing a felling date of Winter 1329/30. The building runs east to west, on the north side of Church Street. Internally, the roof is divided into three bays by two raised cruck trusses, and at each end is a stone gabled wall. One cruck truss has an apex type H, with a cranked collar and chamfered arch bracing. The other cruck truss has an apex type C. Some of the roof timbers show smoke blackening. Dating commissioned by Tim Taylor, as part of Dunster Dig Village. [5,6] The building is depicted on 2018 MasterMap data. The northern section is labelled "26" and the southern "28". 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p22.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM8453 Article in serial: Alcock, A. and Tyers, C.. 2016. Tree-ring date lists 2016. Vernacular Architecture. 47:1. 69-106. 74.
- <6> SEM8731 Report: Moir, A.. 2015. Dendrochronological analysis of oak timbers from three cruck buildings in Dunster, Somerset, England. 1, 5-6, 7, 12-13, 16, 17, 18, 21, 25.
- <7>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39151 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9901 4360 (16m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/33/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/33/2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34933
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 3:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.