MSO12072 - J H Parham's General Store, 22 Church Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Early 19th century. Colourwashed render, hipped slate roof, eaves. Two storeys plus attics. Three windows (attic window blocked), sashes with glazing bars, exposed frames. Coeval shop front and entrance to ground floor left-hand, small panes with glazing bars. Semi-circular headed right-hand door opening, arched fanlight.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264663. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  The 2002 Conservation Area Character Appraisal for Dunster states "Nos. 22 & 24 are early 19th century, the former is colour washed render …No.22 has a 19th century shop front with narrow glazing bars and a semi-circular headed door opening with engraved glass lettering (formerly J H Parham’s General Store) and an arched fanlight above."  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  A postcard dating from c.1906 shows an image of Dunster Supply Stores with the staff standing outside.  The building is depicted on 2018 MasterMap data and is labelled "22". 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p22.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM8777 Photograph: Bert Hole, Watchet. Undated. Post card [Dunster Supply Stores]. N/A. B/W. Postcard.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39154 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9902 4362 (22m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/31
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34931
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 3:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.