MSO12065 - Dollins' House, 10 Church Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Early 19th century. Stucco slate roof, wide eaves with ornamental plasterwork to soffit, egg and dart bead mouldings. Two storeys plus attics. Two modern gable dormers, 2 pairs of wood casements with glazing bars to 1st floor, similar pair to ground floor right-hand. Coeval shop window to left, 4-light with octagonal section wood mullions. All window openings have flat heads with stepped voussoirs. Later central panelled door.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264656. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  The 2002 Conservation Area Character Assessment for Dunster states "No.10 is early 19th century and has ornamental plaster and most openings have flat heads with stepped voussoirs."  One of the occupants of the property was Samuel Ell, an apothecaary and dispenser at the Cottage Hospital. He also used to make marmalade which was served at breakfast in the Houses of Parliament, and in 1866 prepared his "celebrated algae sauce from laver".  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is depicted on 2018 MasterMap data. The building is labelled "10" and "12". 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p22.
- <4> SEM7516 Monograph: Binding, H.. Discovering Dunster. The Exmoor Press. p76-8.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39153 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9912 4367 (15m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/24
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34924
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 3:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.