MSO12063 - Post-medieval bridge over River Avill in Dunster Old Park (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Late 18th century. Stone built with three semi-circular arches, wider central arch with depressed triangular parapet. Moulded stone copings to parapets and abutment walls. Rock-faced rusticated pilasters and voussoirs.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264653. First Listed on 04/08/1983.  An 18th-century bridge spans the River Avill at SS 9930 4347. It is Palladian in style, with three arches. The vouissoirs are of undressed stone to give a picturesque appearance. The rest of the structure is of local mortared stone, capped with sandstone slabs. An artificial waterfall below the bridge adds to the effect. The bridge was designed by Richard Phelps, and is part of the 18th century enhancement of the grounds of Dunster Castle, for H F Luttrell. The bridge leads from the formal grounds around the castle, out towards the Deer Park. [3, 4] The building is situated within Dunster's Conservation Area.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A.  The structure is depicted on 2018 MasterMap data and is labelled "FB" (footbridge). 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO653 Map: 1/6/1998. SS94SE Site visit. 103.
- <4> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <5> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal.
- <6> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <7>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39197 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9929 4347 (18m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||CARHAMPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1145512 (Pastscape entry: 1145512)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 26/4/22
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9479
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE103
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1145512
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34921
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 3:56PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.