MSO12050 - Nos 2 and 4, Castle Hill, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
17th century, creamwashed render, slate roof, eaves, central brick stack. Two storeys. Three windows, 2, 3 and 4-light leaded casements with moulded wood mullions. Stop-moulded oak doorframe with depressed head, ribbed door, later gabled hood. Two window return elevation to Church Street with similar windows.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264640. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  The building is situated within Dunster's Conservation Area. The 2002 Character Appraisal states "Nos. 2 & 4 are typical 17th century examples with cream-washed render and a slate roof. The windows are leaded light casements with moulded timber mullions. There is a stop-moulded door frame with ribbed door and a 19th century gabled hood."  The buildings were visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  The buildings are shown on 2018 MasterMap data and labelled "2" and "4". 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p21.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39140 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9915 4366 (19m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/8/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/8/2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34908
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 4:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.