MSO12046 - Nos 5 to 10, The Ball, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Row of early 19th century cottages with later alterations. Ramdom rubble red sandstone. Nos 7 and 10 rendered. Slate roofs, brick chimney stacks. Two storeys. Wooden casement windows with glazing bars. Pents over ground floor windows. No 8 has sliding sash windows. Door hoods on wooden brackets. Included for group value.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264636. First Listed on 04/08/1983.  The buildings are included in Dunster's Conservation Area. The 2002 Character Appraisal states "Nos. 4-10 The Ball, quite small in scale, are a continuous row and range from late 18th century stucco to mid 19th century dressed and coursed red sandstone (no.3). There is a mix of sash, sliding sash and casement windows, and plain or panelled doors, most with tiled or slated hoods, some gabled, on timber brackets."  The buildings were visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6  Number 8, The Ball was subject to a Heritage Statement as part of a planning application in 2018 looking to make minor internal and external alterations to the property. It suggested the house was constructed in the early 19th Century as part of a group of five terrace cottages, dated as per the listing description.  The buildings are shown on 2018 MasterMap data. The eastern end is labelled "10". 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p21.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM8609 Report: Anon.. 2018. Heritage Statement: Various minor internal and external alterations, erection of shed and green house at 8 The Ball, Dunster, Minehead, Somerset.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39111 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9917 4388 (42m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/5/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/5/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/5/3
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/5/4
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/5/5
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/5/6
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34904
Record last edited
Apr 8 2021 10:27AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.