MSO12041 - All Saints Church and Churchyard, Selworthy (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The church of St John Baptist or All Saints. The greater part is Perpendicular and the south aisle, the latest part of the building, is dated 1527. The north aisle is c1390. The font-bowl is Saxon and the tower was evidently part of an earlier church.  Except for the lower parts of the west tower, which seems to be 14th Century, this is a Perpendicular church.  In normal use.  Graveyard in use since medieval times. Contains cross.  A roll of honour in an oak frame and decorated with an illuminated tree of life in the centre, names 46 parishioners who served in World War One and 48 who served in World War Two, with 8 people who also died in each of the conflicts. A white marble tablet on a black marble backboard commemorates the 8 parishioners who died in World War One. The tablet is ornamented with a gilt wreath and cross on a blue background. A rectangular marble tablet commemorates 8 parishioners who died in World War Two. A plaque in an oak frame commemorates Calverley Hancock, second son of the Reverend Frederick Hancock of Selworthy, who was killed in Bethlehem, South Africa during the Boer War in 1900.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The north aisle of the church was built by the Arundells in the 17th Century. The Steynings (for some time owners of the Manor) probably built the south aisle in the early 16th Century as there is a date of 1538 high up in the west end. There are good 16th and 17th Century brasses to various members of this family on the wall. The Parish Church of All Saints dates from the 14th century, although much is Perpendicular. An 1875 restoration, less drastic than most of the period, revealed wall paintings, much eroded. The church is built of roughcast over rubble with Ham Hill stone dressings. The ceiled wagon roof to the nave has ornate carved bosses, and that to the south chancel is especially fine with moulded ribs and a wall plate frieze. The wagon-roof in the chancel and north aisle is 19th Century. A local woodworking class carved the bosses in the latter. There is some good 17th and 18th century fittings, including a pulpit of re-set medieval panelling with sounding board and hourglass. The oak panelled gallery was added c.1750, and the Squire’s pew with canopied gallery over the doorway was erected in 1804. There are some fragments of medieval glass in the east window of the north aisle. The listing details refer to this church as “one of the finest in the county” and Pevsner in “The Buildings of England”, refers to the south chancel as its “great glory” and “unsurpassed in the county”. It is also the resting place of Francis Eeles who was founder and first secretary of the Council for the Care of Churches. 
- <1> SSO1236 Monograph: Hancock, F. 1897. The Parish of Selworthy. 41-63.
- <2> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. 285-6.
- <3> SSO1746 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS94NW. 3.
- <4> SSO727 Monograph: Allen, N.V.. 1974. Churches and Chapels of Exmoor. Exmoor Press. 78.
- <5> SSO207 Article in serial: 1889. Forty first Annual Meeting. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 15i. 20-21.
- <6> SSO795 Unassigned: Aston, M. 9.12.1976. Somerset County Council.
- <7> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. UKNIWM references 24676, 24677, 24678 and 24679.
- <8> SSO1111 Monograph: Eeles F.C. 1970. The Church of All Saints, Selworthy and its Chapels of Lynch and Tivington. Barnicotts Limited.
- <9> SEM7229 Monograph: Collinson, J.. 1791 (2006). The History and Antiquities of Somerset. Archive CD Books Ltd.
- <10> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <11> SEM6952 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Selworthy: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 5,9.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9198 4680 (69m by 55m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: Coffin family chest tomb in All Saints Churchyard (Building) (MSO10741)
- Parent of: Eastern yew tree, All Saints Churchyard, Selworthy (Tree) (MEM23350)
- Parent of: Medieval cross in All Saints' Churchyard (Building) (MSO8016)
- Parent of: Trill family chest tomb in All Saints Churchyard (Building) (MSO10742)
- Parent of: Western yew tree, All Saints Churchyard, Selworthy (Tree) (MEM23351)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (6)
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.24676 (UKNIWM reference: 24676 (WW2 marble tablet))
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.24677 (UKNIWM reference: 27677 (WW1 and WW2 Roll of Honour))
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.24678 (UKNIWM reference: 24678 (WW1 marble tablet))
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.24679 (UKNIWM reference: 24679 (Boer War casualty - CT Hancock))
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=558 (CHER ID: 601477)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36768 (Pastscape entry: 36768)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/26/106
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601477
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10739
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8009
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW3
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36768
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31236
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34889
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.