MSO12027 - Chapel of Ease, West Lynch (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A chapel of the perpendicular period situated in the hamlet of West Lynch. Until recently it formed part of the buildings of the adjoining farm, as a storehouse, but has been restored for use for Divine Service.  The building is probably of the same date as the south aisle of the parish church, c.1520.  'A small building, and it was remarkable that it should have three doors… there being doors opposite each other in the north and south walls… probably an arrangement to enable processions to be held in small churches'.  The early 16th Century chapel of a former manor house of the Sydenhams. Hence its unusually ambitious east window (renewed 1885); three lights with a transom. North and south windows of two-lights. Wagon-roof. Panelled dado, west gallery with plain 17th Century balusters.  The chapel houses an oak memorial to John Pilcher who was killed in 1941 in World War Two. The memorial features depictions of a crossed sporting gun and fishing rod and a crossed bayonet and sabre as well as the badge of the Grenadier Guards.  Anglican chapel. Circa 1530 restored 1880 and porch added c1904. Random rubble lias, diagonal buttresses, chamfered plinth, slate roof, coped verges, decorative ridge tiles. Single cell, nave and chancel, south porch. South front: gabled single storey porch added in memory of Henry Goddard, died 1904, triple lancet on west front, chamfered 4-centred arch inner doorway, C19 door, 2-light window under hoodmould to right, east window of 2 x 4 lights largely rebuilt, north front 2-light window and blocked 4-centred arch doorway, similar blocked doorway at west end. Interior: painted rubble. Renewed ribbed open wagon roof, ceiled over sanctuary. West end singing gallery constructed from old pews in 1930 by Mr W H R Blacking. Panelled dado, ogee headed piscina and 2 brackets for statues flanking altar. (Photograph in NMR).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265550. First Listed on 22 May 1969.  Complex plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Wagon, Gabled roof  Chap. (NAT)  A chapel of the Perpendicular period situated in the hamlet of West Lynch. Until recently it formed part of the buildings of the adjoining farm, as a storehouse, but has been restored for use for Divine Service. The building is probably of the same date as the south aisle of the parish church i.e. c. 1520 (see illust).  In normal use.  Lynch Chapel of Ease. Grade B. 15th century. Now restored to ecclesiastical use after being occupied as cottage.  Lynch Chapel of East, West Lynch. Grade II*. Anglican chapel. Circa 1530 restored 1880 and porch added c.1904.  Additional bibliography. [16-8] The 2003 Bossington and West Lynch Conservation Area appraisal states the chapel is"an important survival of a relatively rare type, closely associated as it is with a medieval farm stead or manor house. Nikolaus Pevsner in the Buildings of England series, mentions five other Somerset examples, including Lytes Cary." It goes on to describe the chapel as "a remarkably complete early 16th century chapel, probably of a former manor of the Sydenhams, although is supposed to have been established by an abbot of Atheleney. The chapel had become a barn, but the then owner of the Holnicote Estate, Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, refitted and restored it as a Chapel of Ease in 1884-5 including the fine east window of three lights with transom bars. It resembles windows at Doverhay manor, and at Porlock and Selworthy churches. There is a wagon roof, panelled dado and a 17th century gallery with plain balusters."  The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5.  The building is labelled "Chapel" on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO1264 Monograph: Horne, E. 1923. Holy Wells of Somerset. 35-36.
- <2> SSO1236 Monograph: Hancock, F. 1897. The Parish of Selworthy. 35-36.
- <3> SSO1746 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS94NW. 1.
- <4> SSO207 Article in serial: Anonymous. 1889. Forty first Annual Meeting. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 35. Part 1, pp 1-46. 24.
- <5> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. 227.
- <6> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. UKNIWM reference 1366.
- <7> SSO1111 Monograph: Eeles F.C. 1970. The Church of All Saints, Selworthy and its Chapels of Lynch and Tivington. Barnicotts Limited.
- <8> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <9> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <10> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <11> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 6" 1931.
- <12> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. The Parish of Selworthy 1897 35-36 illust (F Hancock).
- <13> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 JP 21-JUL-65.
- <14> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE (HHR) Williton RD Somerseit March 1962 74.
- <15> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE (HHR) West Somer Dist (Exford et al) Somerset 2 1 86 72.
- <16> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. (Rev F Hancock) Vol 39 Pt 2 1893 p55-60.
- <17> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society.
- <18> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. The Church of All Saints of Selworthy and its Chapels of Lynch and Tivington 1929 (F C Eccles).
- <19> SEM7908 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2003. Bossington & West Lynch Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p6, p11.
- <20> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <21> SEM8805 Article in serial: Hancock, F.. 1893. The ancient chapels in the valley of Holnicote. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 39. 2, pp55-60. 59-60.
- <22> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 900 476 (11m by 8m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (4)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36762 (Pastscape entry: 36762)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524344 (Pastscape entry: 524344)
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.1366/fromUkniwmSearch/1 (UKNIWM reference: 1366)
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=559 (CHER ID: 601478)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 1076/23/136
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601478
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW1
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 44345
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36762
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524344
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31266
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34836
Record last edited
Jan 5 2021 4:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.