MSO12005 - Two undated mounds at Benjamy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A round barrow not previously recorded is at SS 728 435. It could also be a ring cairn or a hut circle.  There are two turf covered mounds at the National Grid References, each 3 metres diameter and 0.3 metres high. They cannot be positively identified as barrows and may be field clearance mounds. There are two good ring cairns to the south (MSO10883 and MSO12369) and it may be to these that Grinsell was originally referring.  The area of these two mounds also lies close to a stone setting (MSO6835).  There is no round barrow at SS 728 435. No stone could be detected in the mounds by probing so it is unlikely that they are clearance mounds. 
- <1> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited. 59,193.
- <2> SSO1682 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1985. SS74SW. 54.
- <3> SSO1018 Unassigned: Dennison, E. 26.09.86. Somerset County Council.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7278 4347 (0m by 50m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35488 (Original Monarch entry: 35488)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6843
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW54
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35488
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34642
Record last edited
Mar 27 2018 1:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.