MSO12005 - Two undated mounds at Benjamy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A round barrow not previously recorded is at SS 728 435. It could also be a ring cairn or a hut circle.  SS 7278 4350 and SS 7278 4345. Two turf covered mounds each 3 metres in diameter and 0.3 metres high. They cannot be positively identified as barrows and could be clearance mounds.  There are two good ring cairns to the south (MSO10883 and MSO12369) and it may be to these that Grinsell was originally referring.  The area of these two mounds also lies close to a stone setting (MSO6835).  A SS 7278 4350 and B SS 7278 4345. Two turf covered earthen mounds, each about 2 to 3 metres diameter and 0.2 to 0.3 metres high. No stone content was revealed by probing so it is unlikely that they are stone clearance heaps. These mounds are similar to many on Exmoor, their origin is obscure, though the possibility that they are prehistoric cannot be entirely excluded. SS 728 435 There is no round barrow at the reference given by Grinsell.
- <1> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited. 59, 193.
- <2> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey Archaeological Division Field Investigator 1, 4 February 1975.
- <3> SSO1682 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1985. SS74SW. 54.
- <4> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, 26 September 1986.
- <5>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 May 1995. [Mapped features: #44183 Mound A, ; #44184 Mound B, ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7278 4347 (0m by 50m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35488 (Original Monarch entry: 35488)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6843
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7140
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW162
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW54
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044755
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35488
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34642
Record last edited
Jan 27 2021 1:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.