MSO11987 - Post-medieval water meadow northeast of Oare House (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Earthwork remains of a water meadow system can be seen on the sides of Deddy Combe to the north and east of Oare House.  A post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow, is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs to the south east of Oare House. Six gutters are visible, centred at SS 8033 4752, on a steep southwest facing slope covering an area measuring approximately 1.4 hectares. The gutters vary in length from between 60 to 75 metres, and were probably fed from Deddy Combe to the west. These parallel gutters were used to distribute flowing water evenly over the surface of the meadow, encouraging early growth in spring and preventing freezing in winter. The system appears to have been connected to the farmyard at Oare House, suggesting that this was an integrated system, which also distributed liquid manure as fertiliser over the fields. [2-4]
- <1> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, 16 April 1986.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 3109 (17 October 1952).
- <3> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <4>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #38032 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8047 4762 (484m by 304m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460602 (Pastscape entry: 1460602)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1650
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW88
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460602
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34454
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34614
Record last edited
Jan 26 2021 3:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.