MSO11876 - Post-medieval water meadow around Oare Manor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A water meadow system is seen on aerial photographs to the south of Oare House. [1,2] There are earthwork remains of three leats, still well preserved, running west, to the south of Oare Water. They continue south for several fields.  A post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow, is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs to the north and northwest of Oare Manor. The system, which is centred at approximately SS 8017 4739, consists of at least thirteen gutters spread across five fields, and covering an area measuring approximately 25 hectares. Approximately 300 metres to the south, at circa SS 8007 4710, two further ditches of similar size and form are visible and it seems likely that they were also part of this extensive system. All the ditches appear to drain into Oare Water, but it is unclear where they were fed from. The system does not appear to be connected to any of the local farmyards, indicating that this was a detached system, with no access to liquid manure or fertiliser except what was brought to it. [1,4,5]
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3038, 3039 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM6918 Report: Francis, P.T.H.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the "Catch Meadow" Irrigation Systems Found in the Exmoor Region of West Somerset. P.38.
- <3> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, 16 April 1986.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 3109 (17 October 1952).
- <5>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped features: #46949 ; #46950 ; #46951 ; #46970 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8008 4733 (679m by 583m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460610 (Pastscape entry: 1460610)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1651
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW89
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460610
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34454
Record last edited
Jan 27 2021 11:23AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.