MSO11957 - Yarde Mill House, Yarde (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
"Mill race" shown on OSAD 6" map running from ST06393840 to mill.  Belonged to Nettlecombe manor and may have been Hurd mill recorded in 1373 as in need of repair. Yard mill was mentioned in 1374-5, and in 1379-80 materials were purchased for its repair. In 1381-2 it was farmed but was in hand in 1398-9. The mill was let in 1755. In 1872 the miller was also a corn, seed and coal merchant. Milling ceased after 1910 but the mill and its overshot wheel and machinery, including stones, survived in 1980.  Leat now dry. Overshot wheel 16ft in diameter, 3ft 1ins wide with 42 sheet iron buckets.  Miller's house, corn mill and waterwheel, now private house. C17-C18 on site of earlier mill, ceased 1910. Roughcast and random rubble, pantiled roof main block, slate roofed wings, brick stacks. "U"-plan. Centre mill and miller's house under one roof, wheel to left, lower gabled wings. Main block 3 storeys, 2 bays, mixed fenestration, overshot waterwheel on right return inscribed J Chidgey and Sons 1910. Right wing, originally loft over stables 2 storeys, loft door gabled, rectangular two 2-light casements with 2 segmental headed double door openings with key stones, inserted door and window between. Brick stack rising from eaves with pigeon holes at first floor. Left wing two 2-light casements gable ends, now includes entrance. Although altered in C20, this forms part of interesting group of houses at Yard.  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO1639 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" ST03NE.
- <2> SMO5316 Monograph: Dunning, R. W. (editor). 1985. A History of the County of Somerset. Oxford University Press for the Institute of Historical Research. 5. 117-8.
- <3> SSO1993 Unassigned: Warren, D. 24.11.77. Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society.
- <4> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Nettlecombe (21 December 1984).
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0607 3910 (25m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||NETTLECOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975368 (Original Monarch entry: 975368)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 375/5/50
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10509
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7725
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NE70
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 975368
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30748
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34563
Record last edited
May 5 2021 12:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.