MSO11875 - Post-medieval water meadow system at Ash Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Water meadow system seen on aerial photographs at Ash Farm.  A post-medieval water meadow gutter drainage system, visible as curvilinear earthworks, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1947. The water meadow is centred at SS 8422 4789 on a northwest facing hillslope in fields immediately north of Ash Farm. A series of eight curvilinear earthwork ditches have been recorded which follow the contours of the north facing slope. The roughly parallel ditches carry water over and off the fields. Some of the ditches were still visible on aerial photographs taken in 1979. [2-4]
- <1> SSO1179 Unpublished document: Francis, P.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the Catch Meadow Irrigation Systems. 39.
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4029 and 4030.
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 4029-4030 (11 April 1947).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 131-132 (17 April 1979).
- <5> SMO7540 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NW. MD000129.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 842 478 (239m by 161m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1453964 (Pastscape entry: 1453964)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1453
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW68
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1453964
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34453
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.