MSO11866 - Bat's Castle, Croyden Hill, Luxborough (Place)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
"Bat's Castle" printed on Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 6 inch map.  Circular bank or flat topped mounds with possible square mound. [2,3] Classified as a military castle, but may be a hillfort (doubtful), folly or anything.  The 2018 MasterMap data states that Bat's Castle is approximately at SS 9719 4014, although no features are depicted here.  The mounds mentioned by  appear to be those recorded as possible gravel pits (MSO12280) and a burial cairn (MSO9091). 
- <1> SSO1634 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS94SE.
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4290.
- <3> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. SS3740A.
- <4> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council staff comments. E Dennison, 29 June 1984.
- <5>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #46470 Approximate location of site, ]
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 21 January 2020.
|Grid reference||SS 9719 4014 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34444
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 4:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.