MSO11771 - Spangate Farmstead, Wootton Courtenay (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Characteristic small enclosures shown on Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 6 inch map with a ""well"" marked. ""Spangate Land"" and ""Spangate Lane"" marked on Ordnance Survey 6 inch map.  Mentioned in the Court Rolls of 31 Henry VIII (1539-40).  Was a farmhouse with 106 acres in 1844.  The 1903 Ordnance Survey 25 inch map  shows an oval enclosure with buildings reached by a narrow track to the south. Earthworks and ruined buildings on the site remain within a roughly oval enclosure. There is a spring on the edge of this enclosure and a deep holloway links the farm to the moorland mentioned in the Court Rolls.  Low banks and broken walls forming an irregular enclosure, with suggestions of subdivisions and possibly building remains. It may be a deserted farm site? Spangate deserted farm site, 3/43/06, 1989. [5-7] Spangate is shown as a farmhouse with 106 acres on the 1844 Tithe Map.  Shown as extant on the Ordnance Survey 1809 1 inch map.  SS 921415. Remains of a deserted farm, probably Medieval, called Spangate, situated in a roughly circular enclosure which may be a hillslope enclosure. Approached from the south by a hollow way. (Spangate is shown as an extant farm on Ordnance Survey 1 inch 1809, and remains of it survive as detail on Ordnance Survey 1:10000 1974, at SS 9210 4147, with 'Spangate' placenames surrounding it. No circular enclosure shows on Ordnance Survey aerial photographs 1970, the farmstead itself being largely obscured by trees). [10-12] Spangate is a deserted farmstead - local information suggets that it was abandoned during the first half of the 20th century. The overgrown ruins of several buildings are extant although robbing and general collapse have confused the remains. The alleged enclosure appears to have been little more than field boundaries defining the extent of the farmyard. There is no field evidence to suggest an enclosure of any kind.  Spangate farmstead is clearly shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  A few of the field boundaries around the farm are still depicted on the 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO1635 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS94SW.
- <2> SSO176 Unpublished document: 1538-53. Wootton Courtenay Court Rolls.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903.
- <4> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 103.
- <5> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4176.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. HSL/UK/71-177 93/8729 (September 1971).
- <7> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS9241B.
- <8> SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <9> SSO1423 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1809. 1 Inch Ordnance Surveyors draft map. 1:63,360.
- <10> SSO302 Serial: 1976. Medieval Village Research Group Annual Report. no 24. 9.
- <11> SSO303 Serial: 1977. Medieval Village Research Group Annual Report. no 25. 15.
- <12> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 122 (1978), p123.
- <13> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 April 1998.
- <14>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46637 ]
- <15> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9208 4141 (76m by 150m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6262
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW24
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 37020
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34341
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 9:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.