MSO11770 - Post-medieval lime kiln and quarry west of Quarry Field (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
"Old limekiln" printed on Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 6 inch and Ornance Survey 25 inch maps. [1,2] The site of an "Old Limekiln" is marked on a late 19th Century Ordnance Survey map , close to the lane from Wootton Courtenay village to Ranscombe Farm, centred at SS 9450 4335. The limekiln has been converted into a garden shed, and is now in the corner of the garden of a house known as "Quarry Field". The front of the kiln forms the back wall of the shed. It is well built, being constructed of mortared local stone blocks. The furnace is bricked up. The owner of Quarry Field said that someone in the village could remember it being in use, burning lime for the building trade. This conflicts with the map evidence referred to above; it may suggest that the limekiln was re-used after a period of disuse. A large, deep disused quarry lies close to the kiln. The owner relates that this was not for limestone for use in the kiln. [3,4] The quarry and the limekiln lie on the boundary between Permian and Triassic Upper Marls and Middle Devonian Hangman Grits (sandstones, slates and siltstones). 
- <1> SSO1635 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS94SW.
- <2> SSO1536 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1929. 25" sheet. 34(16).
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889. [Mapped features: #46632 Lime kiln, ; #46633 Quarry, ]
- <4> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 17 July 1997.
- <5> SSO209 Survey: 1974. Geological Survey of Great Britain 1974 Dulverton sheet 294: Solid and Drift Geology.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9452 4337 (58m by 96m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6292
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW58
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1086649
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34340
Record last edited
Aug 3 2020 2:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.