MMO2691 - Post-medieval quarry south of Brockwell Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of an old quarry pit are visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork and a levelled earthwork, to the south of Brockwell Lane, Wootton Courtenay, at circa SS 9442 4335. There is no quarry annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889 in this location. However, the area is demarcated as being separate from the surrounding field. This may support the interpretation that the quarry had passed out of use, perhaps some time prior to the publication of the map, but the pit had was still open. It appears the pit was not filled and land brought back into cultivation until some point prior to 1977, when the quarry is visible as a cropmark. The quarry may have been related to the lime kiln recorded approximately 40 metres to the northeast. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 58-2665 (F21) 0076 (8 January 1959).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA MAL/77013 092-3 (20 May 1977).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #32452 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9442 4335 (53m by 40m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1482633 (Original Monarch entry: 1482633)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW154
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1482633
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 8:48PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.