MSO11744 - Bronze Age round barrow on Withypool and Exford Parish boundary (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Barrow reported "about 0.25 miles east of three parish boundary". Round barrow c.10 paces diameter and c.4 feet high. Gorse and heather on top with ditch and bank. Total diameter c.23 paces. Cut by east to west boundary wall.  Centred at SS 8105 3747 is a prehistoric barrow. It is bisected by a field boundary which divides Withypoole and Exford parishes. It is clearly the barrow located by . The barrow consists of a subcircular, turf covered stony mound 17.5 metres in diameter and 0.7 metres high. The southern half, lying on open moorland, is the best preserved, although spoil from the field boundary ditch has been thrown over the barrow. The mound itself is stepped: having a slight berm. There is no trace of the ditch and bank mentioned by . However, it is possible that the edge of an adjacent barrow (MSO6789), not observed by , has lead to this interpretation. The northern half of the barrow lies in enclosed land, and has been reduced by ploughing and agricultural improvement. The presence of a shooting gate is causing damage to the western side of the barrow. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.  Surveyed at 1:500 scale with MSO6789, July 1996. [3,4] The barrow is depicted on the Tithe Map for Exford.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1059 Unpublished document: Eardley Wilmot, H. 16.09.80. H Eardley-Wilmot to Somerset County Council 16.09.80 - discovery.
- <2>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 3 August 1995. [Mapped feature: #44695 ]
- <3>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 3 July 1996. [Mapped feature: #44695 ]
- <4> SMO5706 Technical drawing: Wilson-North, R. and Best, J.E.. 1996. Barrow, Exford/Withypoole boundary/ink survey . 1:500. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <5> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974410, Extant 27 July 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8105 3747 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8709
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW15
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974410
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34312
Record last edited
Jul 27 2021 4:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.