MSO11737 - Post-medieval Hill Farm, Hawkridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"Hill Farm" printed on 1962 Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 6 inch map with several buildings and a well shown.  An estate of 27 acres is shown in 1841 around the farm site and the farm is shown roofed.  Nothing shown on 1977 OS 1:10,000 map.  Remains of two or three buildings, one with a roof, and several small irregular enclosures.  This was previously thought by Aston to be the site of Hunterscombe Farm (see MSO8687) but the above information applies to this site. Nothing now remains of this farm, although the farmer knows his mother was born there. Only a sharply right angled field boundary with mature trees on it remains, although there are indications of field boundaries and enclosures in the south facing ploughed field adjacent. [5-6] The farm buildings remained roofed through 1888 until at least 1903. [7-8] In 1974 only a section of the field bank to the south of the farm remain depicted.  The remains lie on a south facing slope facing Hawkridge Common. The site was not visited during the RCHME Field Survey as permission was not obtained.  In private ownership  The site is not shown on the 2021 MasterMap data, although some of the enclosure boundaries can be traced. A modern farmstead of the same name is situated to the west (MEM23223).  The farm is visible on the 1946-8 aerial photographs. The buildings still appear to be roofed at this point. 
- <1> SSO1612 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS83SE.
- <2> SSO213 Map: 1841. Hawkridge Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SSO1439 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1977. 1:10,000 SS83SE.
- <4> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. 8532.
- <5> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 102.
- <6> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 29 January 1988.
- <7>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888, Somerset 56(12). [Mapped feature: #47159 ]
- <8> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903, Somerset 56(12).
- <9> SEM7530 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1974. 1:10,000 scale map: 1974. 1:10000.
- <10> SSO1869 Survey: RCHME. 1995. Exmoor Survey. NMR site SS 83 SE 35.
- <11> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 34305.
- <12> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <13> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8519 3208 (98m by 129m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8703
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE35
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 932923
- Somerset SMR PRN: 32326
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34305
Record last edited
Mar 31 2021 12:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.