MSO11734 - Bronze Age round barrow on Humbers Ball (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 8317 3282 At the southeastern limit of the moorland known as Humber's Ball there is a round barrow, cut by a northeast to southwest field bank. It is 17.0 metres diameter overall, 1.5 metres high on the northwest and 0.5 metres high on the southeast. The barrow is situated on the highest point in the locality. Surveyed at 1.2500 on Field Document. [Not visited by RCHME, but D. Warren is unlikely to make an error over a round barrow.]  Not mentioned by Grinsell.  Field boundary cuts deeply into mound.  The barrow is 20.5 metres in diameter, 1.1 metres high and is bisected by a southwest to northeast field bank whose ditch has cut into the mound. The barrow is turf covered although stone is exposed in some places.  In private ownership  SS 83168 32818. A large round barrow lies on the summit of Hawkridge Plain and Humber's Ball; it is cut by the later 19th Century bank and ditch which separates the two enclosures. The barrow is 20.5 metres in diameter and up to 1.5 metres high and may well be the site marked on the Withypool Tithe Map as "Flatpool Barrow" (MEM23390). 
- <1>XY SSO1701 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1973. SS83SW. D Warren, 28 August 1973, 8. [Mapped feature: #34091 Barrow, HWH17050]
- <2> SSO1220 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset barrows, part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113.
- <3> SSO832 Unassigned: Burrow, I. 03.09.82. Somerset County Council.
- <4> SSO1166 Unpublished document: ENP. 02.08.82. ENP to Somerset County Council.
- <5> SSO1828 Unassigned: RCHME. 1996. Exmoor Survey.
- <6> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <7> SEM8544 Report: Riley, H.. 2018. Archaeological walkover survey: Halscombe Allotments, Humber's Ball, Hawkridge Plain & Old Barrow Down, Withypool & Hawkridge, Exmoor. HWH17050, p14.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8317 3282 (19m by 19m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8686
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument) (Halscombe etc): HWH17050
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW8
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35823
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34302
Record last edited
May 15 2018 1:48PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.