MSO11726 - Garliscombe mill, Withypool (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
"Corn mill printed on OS 25" map with a complex system of leats and weirs upstream.  Short leat from Pennycombe Brook which is partly infilled. The last millers were Mitton (1822), Kemps, Milton and Capt Brayley. Closed in 1920. Low breast wheel. All interior gearing intact. Pit wheel 6ft 10ins diameter and 2.5ft wide.  Corn mill, now disused. Early/mid C19. Slatestone rubble with gabled Welsh slate roof. One-unit plan. One storey with loft. Pointed-arched loft window to north gable and square headed loft window to south gable. Flat stone arch over doorway to north side of west wall. North lean-to with corrugated iron roof. Remains of mill wheel to south. Interior: wooden gearing and 2 pairs of mill stones to loft. A good example of a small corn mill with its machinery.  The mill and leats are shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [4,5] The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A. 
- <1> SSO1534 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1903. 25" sheet. 45(15).
- <2> SSO1992 Unassigned: Warren, D Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society. 24.11.74.
- <3> SSO67 Index: 12/12/1991. 6th amendment of 35th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8473 3552 (335m by 178m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974459 (Original Monarch entry: 974459)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1076/12/10000
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10276
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8715
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW36
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974459
- Somerset SMR PRN: 17528
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34294
Record last edited
Dec 7 2020 11:48AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.