MSO11721 - St Giles Church, Hawkridge (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The church consists only of a nave and chancel with a tower at the west end. The fabric includes an east window and buttresses in the early Decorated style as well as early Norman features, such as a doorway on the north side of the tower and a circular font. The tower is 19th Century. In normal use.  The first rector was appointed in 1318.  In c. 1992 the western end of the oak vaulting was replaced after being damaged by scaffolding which was being used during repairs to the tower.  A wooden memorial commemorates two members of the parish who died in World War One. The memorial consists of an arched wooden board flanked by two fluted flat columns.  The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is labelled "St Giles's Church (Rectory)" on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The building is labelled "St Giles's Church" on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO1695 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS83SE. 4.
- <2> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. 192.
- <3> SSO727 Monograph: Allen, N.V.. 1974. Churches and Chapels of Exmoor. Exmoor Press. 57.
- <5> SMO5332 Serial: Royal Archaeological Institute. 1844 onwards. The Archaeological Journal. Volume 7 (1850), 300.
- <6> SSO82 Monograph: Church of St Giles information pamphlet.
- <7> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 January 1995.
- <8> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. UKNIWM reference: 24603.
- <9> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <10> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <11>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #47168 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8611 3064 (23m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (3)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35771 (Pastscape entry: 35771)
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=548 (CHER ID: 601467)
- www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.24603 (UKNIWM entry: 24603)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/18/161
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601467
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10793
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8674
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE4
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 35771
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31295
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34288
Record last edited
Mar 31 2021 4:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.