MSO11697 - Possible deserted farm at Little Ash (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 86393543. Group of very small enclosures at Little Ash. Possibly garden plots.  "Little Ash" printed on Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 6 inch map and one building shown.  Probably a change of site or shrinkage from a hamlet to a farmstead (two buildings are shown and named Little Ash on the Ordnance Survey 1 inch 1st Edition map of 1809). [3-7] Further buildings have been added to the site since the 1962 map was surveyed. 
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8635.
- <2> SSO1610 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS83NE.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 4 August 1984.
- <4> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4355.
- <5> SSO248 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 87. 8631.
- <6> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 101.
- <7> SSO1424 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1809. 1" 1st edition.
- <8> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 864 354 (68m by 106m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35728 (Pastscape entry: 35728)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8527
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE14
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35728
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34256
Record last edited
Aug 31 2017 1:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.