MSO11659 - Bronze Age round barrow on Staddon Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A. SS 8838 3718. Round barrow 18 paces diameter and 3 feet high.  Two barrows first reported by Leslie Grinsell in 1967 (see ). The sites do not appear to have been published in his `Somerset Barrows' of 1969.  Two barrows are centred at SS 8840 3715 on the saddle of Staddon Hill. They lie in improved pasture fields and are no more than 20 metres apart (centre to centre). SS 88392 37160 (`A' on 1:10,000 Ordnance Survey record map). A prominent, domelike, circular, earthen mound 16.5 metres in diameter and 0.7 metres high. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale, 16th September 1997.  Two Bronze Age round barrows can be seen on aerial photographs as low earthworks on Staddon Hill. The larger, westernmost of the two, is clearly visible on aerial photographs as a mound circa 16 metres in diameter centred on circa SS 8838 3716. The earthworks have probably been significantly denuded by post-medieval agricultural improvements, visible immediately to the east as narrow ridge and furrow. [4,5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1686 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1967. SS83NE. 7.
- <2> SSO1220 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset barrows, part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 September 1997.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 54/2821 (F62) 152-3 (27 April 1964).
- <5>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #47540 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35721, Extant 20 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8838 3716 (23m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO124
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8520
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE7
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35721
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34217
Record last edited
Sep 20 2021 10:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.