MSO11630 - Smallcombe, south of Bickham Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
There was a small holding of 49 acres in 1844 here but with only a cottage. The farm has disappeared.  The holding is shown on the Tithe Map for Timberscombe. A building stands at c. SS 9436 4080 within a small subdivided field parcel labelled 465; a pond is shown just to the north, at SS 94354083. The Apportionment describes 465 as "Linhay pond waste and two Courts", owned by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland Bart. and occupied by William Oatway.  The building had been removed by the time the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. 
- <1> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 100.
- <2>XY SEM7912 Map: 1843. Timberscombe Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 465. [Mapped feature: #46618 ]
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9436 4081 (59m by 70m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1086573 (Pastscape entry: 1086573)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8314
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW43
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1086573
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34130
Record last edited
Aug 18 2020 11:50AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.