MSO11624 - Post-medieval waterwheel at Bickham Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A wheel pit with a wood trough with rack and pinion hatch and main bearing of wheel shaft extant. Has an iron wheel 16 feet diameter and 2.5 feet wide wheel on a 6 inch diameter shaft.  Two ponds to the south and southeast (MSO11625) may be connected.  It is not clear in which building the wheel was housed in. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society, 23 November 1977.
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council staff comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 16 May 1984.
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 5 September 2014.
|Grid reference||SS 951 417 (point)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1119506 (Original Monarch entry: 1119506)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8328
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE65
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119506
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34124
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 4:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.