MSO11616 - Post-medieval lime kilns south of Well Lane (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"Old limekiln" printed on OSAD 6 inch map.  Access to the site was not obtained.  The Tithe Map shows two Lime Kilns at c. SS 9489 4205. They are situated within land parcel 298a, which is described as "Road Lime Kiln and Quarry in Kiln Close".  One of the lime kilns is still apparently extant, although it is not clear whether this is the original southern or northern kiln. The other kiln had been removed by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. [4-6]
- <1> SSO1635 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS94SW.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 April 1998.
- <3> SEM7912 Map: 1843. Timberscombe Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 298a.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #44671 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9489 4205 (17m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1086631 (Pastscape entry: 1086631)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8315
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW54
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1086631
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34116
Record last edited
Aug 12 2020 10:37AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.