MSO11613 - Post-medieval corn mill at Timberscombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Old watermill with leat and machinery outside.  Leat silted up. Wheel pit and wheel extant and traces of wooden trough. Was an overshot wheel.  "Mill leat" printed on Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division map from SS 9574 4170.  "Mill, disused" printed on 25 inch 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  Timberscombe Tithe Map depicts a cluster of buildings centred at SS 9565 4203, arranged to either side and abutting a leat that diverts from a stream at c.SS 9574 4170 and rejoins it at SS 9567 4205. Buildings on the east side of the leat are labelled 446, with those on the west appearing to be in parcel 445. The Apportionment describes these as below: 445: Garden Allotments, owned by Henry Clarke Esq and occupied by John Webber; 446: House Mill & garden, owned and occupied by John Bellew. While the buildings on the western side of the river are included on the edge of plot 445 and indicated as part of the same plot, they are not mentioned within the plot description. It is conceivable they may actually form part of the land associated with 446. [5,6] The 25 inch 1st Edition map labels the site "Corn Mill". It is not clear which building is being referred to, although the building shown directly adjacent to the label and against the water supply is at SS 9564 4202. The leat is also shown.  2018 MasterMap data labels the building at SS 9566 4203 as "The Old Mill". Only a small part of the leat is shown, labelled as a drain at SS 9566 4193. 
- <1> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. M Aston, Somerset County Council, 2 December 1976.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, 24 November 1977, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society.
- <3> SSO1634 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS94SE.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 34(16).
- <5> SEM7912 Map: 1843. Timberscombe Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 445 and 446.
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 15 January 2020.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9569 4188 (109m by 363m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8323
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE60
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119488
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34113
Record last edited
Jan 22 2020 10:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.