MSO11588 - Post-medieval corn mill at Blackford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 9241 4528. No recognisable remains except traces of a leat although the site has been identified.  This, together with the dovecote (MSO8017), manor house (MSO11590) and fishpond (MSO8073) formed the manorial complex at Blackford.  The Tithe Map for Somerset does not depict a leat at SS 9241 4528. To the northwest are two land parcels named Mill Orchard, (593, centred at SS 9231 4534) and Mill Meadow (590, SS92254548) within the same ownership.  A leat apparently runs to the west of Blackford on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. It then apparently runs northwest towards the fields shown on the Tithe Maps. 
- <1>XY SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society, 5 December 1977. [Mapped feature: #46794 Original supplied location, ]
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, 3 May 1984.
- <3>XY SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 590, 593. [Mapped features: #46795 Centre of Mill Orchard, Land parcel 593; #46796 Centre of Mill Meadow, Land parcel 590]
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9233 4538 (167m by 198m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8072
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW49
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119187
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33994
Record last edited
Nov 4 2020 4:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.