MSO11581 - Late 19th or early 20th Century saw mills at Holnicote (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
"Saw mills" printed on 25 inch 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  Part of the leat remains and a covered wheel well the north side of the building. Mill has machinery remaining. Disused turbine in wheel pit.  Was an overshot wheel 14 feet in diameter and 2.5 feet wide. Turbines in wheel pit built by Stenner and Gunn of Tiverton.  Granary also near by.  The site is also marked on the 25 inch 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map, although not on the 1st Edition map. Various leats are controlled by a sluice at c. SS 9117 4625 and run to a rectangular feature at SS 9111 4626, which may or may not be the wheel pit (this feature is also present on 2018 MasterMap data). A tank is also recorded at SS 9116 4625 (again also shown on the 2018 map data) and may or may not be part of the saw mills complex. [5-7] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1533 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1929. County Series, 3rd Edition 25 inch map. 1:25,000. 34(7).
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. M Aston, Somerset County Council, 20 January 1977.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, Somerset Industial Archaeology Society, 1977.
- <4> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. I Burrow, Somerset County Council, 4 May 1984.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #45916 ]
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1119179, Extant 11 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9117 4624 (147m by 53m) With reference to 2nd Ed. Map.|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1119179 (Pastscape entry: 1119179)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8070
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW47
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1119179
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33987
Record last edited
May 11 2022 4:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.