MSO11527 - 19th Century pound west of Splat Barn Cottage (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The pound is shown on historic mapping. [1-4] This is mentioned by Corner as being 'The Manor Pound'. He states the present pound dates from 1844 and previously, it was on the left of the old entrance to Court Place.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The pound is shown to the southeast on the Tithe Map for Porlock (see MEM25136). 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. SS84NE.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, 34(1).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SSO1559 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1931. 6" sheet 34NW.
- <5> SEM7093 Monograph: Corner, Dennis. 1992. Porlock in Those Days. Exmoor Books. p47, 89.
- <6> SEM8052 Report: Pratt, N.. 2013. Porlock Conservation Area: Appraisal Document.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1127296, Extant 14 February 2022.
- <8> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile. Land parcel 547.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8826 4688 (8m by 11m) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1127296 (Original Monarch entry: 1127296)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7968
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE27
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1127296
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33922
Record last edited
Feb 14 2022 1:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.