MSO11497 - Broomstreet Farm, Oare (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The supporting Somerset SMR map for this area has been annotated "by C14" (or 14th Century), probably by M Aston.  The farmstead is shown on the Culbone Tithe Map as a large group of buildings, possibly in multiple ownerships. The site at this time extended to the northeast. Two houses are depicted in pink amongst the associated grey farmbuildings; the southernmost one is apparently still extant but the northern one, built in an L shape at c. SS 8167 4854, has since been demolished, as have most of the surrounding buildings in this part of the farmstead. Since this map was published, the farmstead has reduced in size and all of the structures in the northeastern area had been removed by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was published. By this point, Broomsfleet Cottage had been constructed and is still extant and the farmstead had also had further structures built to the south of the still extant farmhouse. A barn shown opposite the southern farmhouse on the Tithe Map is still apparently extant and the 1st Edition map depicts a benchmark on its northern wall. One other surviving building to the south of the farmhouse also appears to have been depicted on the Tithe Map. [2-5] The farm was surveyed in January 1997. The farmhouse was thought to have been recased in the early 20th Century but inside contained a three room plan, with 17th Century cross beams and a bench seat of the high end of the original hall. The current farmyard, set above the house had irregular 19th Century rubble buildings with brick arches and a round house at the back. There is a stepped alleyway joining the door of the farmhouse to the farmyard. Broomsfleet Cottage was noted to the north, with a hipped roof and ridge stack. The site was thought to be ancient and interesting. 
- <1> SSO1590 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 6" sheet SS84 NW.
- <2> SEM8065 Map: 1838. Culbone Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 89.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8167 4848 (120m by 144m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MEM15402
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7759
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33874
Record last edited
Jan 26 2021 4:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.