MSO11267 - Edgcott Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"Edgcott Mill (Corn)" printed on 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  Leat from River Exe and tail race, now dry. Had an overshot wheel.  Edgcott mill and leat are depicted on the Tithe Map for Exford. The mill building is shown at SS 8473 3869 and the leat takes water from the River Exe at SS 8457 3875, running down to the mill and then returning to the river at SS 8482 3863. The leat is labelled 637 but unfortunately, the number on the mill building is too difficult to determine on the copy of the map viewed. The accompanying Apportionment document describes 637 as "Mill Leat" (there is no obvious description that would sit with the mill building), both owned and occupied by John Hooper.  The mill and leat are both shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and on the 2nd Edition map (as mentioned above). The leat appears to run the same course as it did on the Tithe Map. A weir is marked on the Exe from where the water is drawn for the leat. [1,4] Since the 2nd Edition Map was surveyed, the leat appears to have been filled in. The mill building may still be extant. 
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903, 45(12).
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society, 24 November 1977.
- <3> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8469 3869 (258m by 131m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974437 (Pastscape entry: 974437)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6752
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW27
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974437
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33608
Record last edited
Mar 2 2020 4:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.