MSO11262 - Medieval or post-medieval site of Redbrooks or Orchard House (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Local tradition of earthworks which represented Redbrooks, later Orchard Farm.  The Tithe Map for Exford parish shows no farm site but lists an area called "Orchard".  "Reddbrookes house" and "the Scite of a house called Otchard House otherwise Redbrooks house" are mentioned in Exmoor forest perambulations of 1651 and 1815.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. M Aston, Somerset County Council, 7 January 1977. [Mapped feature: #46155 ]
- <2> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SSO1302 Monograph: MacDermot, E T. 1911. A History of Exmoor Forest. 301 and 423.
- <4> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 93.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974822, Extant 13 July 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8161 4045 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974822 (Pastscape entry: 974822)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6779
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW114
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974822
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33603
Record last edited
Jul 13 2021 11:59AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.