MSO11142 - Medieval road in Dunster Park (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A road ran from Gallox Cross northeast by Avelham Corner, Henstey Shibbercliff (Skewer Cliff) and Gilt Chapel close to the junction of Saltry Lane with the Carhampton to Minehead road. Prior of Dunster was responsible for its upkeep. The Deerpark put an end to its use and no traces remain. [1,2]
- <1>XY SSO1043 Article in serial: Dixon, J.. 1980. Somerset Parish Survey 3: Carhampton. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 18. [Mapped feature: #34033 ]
- <2> SSO1299 Monograph: Maxwell-Lyte, H.C.. 1909. A History of Dunster and of the Families of Mohun & Luttrell. 2. 342.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9950 4330 (1073m by 377m)|
|Civil Parish||CARHAMPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9116
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE52
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119414
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33461
Record last edited
Jun 25 2019 4:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.