MSO11070 - Medieval or post-medieval hollow way on Exe Cleave (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Long broken irregular parallel banks running east to west into Penn Allotment are thought likely to be a trackway. [1-3] This feature is recorded as a probable trackway, visible as long broken irregular parallel banks running east to west into Penn Allotment . Transcribed during the Exmoor National Mapping Project survey, this feature can be seen to be composed of linear negative features, possible more than one phase in places, and as such could more accurately be described as a hollow way. Centred on circa SS 8122 4008, the earthworks run for circa 840 metres west to east from the River Exe at circa SS 8078 4008, uphill to Penn Allotment. The western end of the earthwork corresponds with footpaths still marked in the current Ordnance Survey base map and therefore elements of this feature clearly functioned as a routeway into the modern period. The eastern end is overlain by 19th Century field boundaries and therefore probably went out of use when the Allotment was enclosed. [1,4] The eastern end of the feature cuts into and likely post dates an undated enclosure (MSO7151). 
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4159-60.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. HSL/UK/72-49 89/0018 (April 1972).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8140A.
- <4>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #46153 ]
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 18 June 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8116 4003 (789m by 154m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974819 (Pastscape entry: 974819)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO414
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7026
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW112
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974819
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33367
Record last edited
Jun 18 2019 3:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.