MSO11023 - Bronze Age burial cairn on East Pinford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 7958 4255. A low flat topped stoney mound 5.0 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high was recorded on the northern side of West Pinfold in 1981. There is a marked vagetational difference between the cairn and the surrounding area. [1,2] A turf covered cairn probably of prehistoric origin is centred at SS 7958 4255. It lies close to a modern path and immediately west of a patch of reeds. The cairn is 3.5 metres in diameter, 0.3 metres high and it is covered in tussocky moor grass, with stone protruding in places. It is similar in size and form to MSO10903. A prehistoric field boundary (MSO6830) is some 50 metres to the south of the cairn.  The cairn described above is visible on aerial photographs as a small mound, slightly obscured by vegetation. [5,6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The feature is depicted and labelled on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO413 Unassigned: Site visit form.
- <2> SSO856 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. and Murless, B.. 1982. Somerset Archaeology 1981. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 126. 69-91. 64.
- <3> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. 50 (site 32).
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 19 June 1994.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 3110-11 (8 November 1952).
- <6> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35302, Extant 19 May 2021.
- <8>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #34248 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7957 4255 (8m by 8m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO91
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6827
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE35
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35302
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33162
Record last edited
Oct 13 2021 1:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.