MSO11004 - Post-medieval bridge abutment between Pinford and Beckham (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A set of very large stone blocks, 4 to 5 courses high, built out from the west side of the stream. There is a short earth and stone ramp 1.3 metres wide behind the abutment leading up into it. Across the stream, in like with the feature, are other set stones, suggesting that a second abutment existed opposite this one, presumeably the river has changed course since then. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The bridge does not appear to be shown on the25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. 
- <1>XY SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33143, R. McDonnell, 28 July 1982. [Mapped feature: #44095 Bridge abutments either side of the river meander., ]
- <2> SSO856 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. and Murless, B.. 1982. Somerset Archaeology 1981. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 126. 69-91. 84.
- <3> SSO1383 Report: McDonnell, R. 1985. Recommendations for the Management.... 53-4 (site 50).
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 975023, Extant 6 July 2021.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||SS 8036 4258 (point) NGR taken from source, no mapping on QGIS was possible due to lack of visiblility of source, there is a plan attached to the record however.|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7045
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW94
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 975023
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33143
Record last edited
Jul 6 2021 12:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.