MSO11000 - Prehistoric hut circle on East Pinford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Remains of stone built hut circle, possibly bicellular building with small attached circle on the northeastern side. Entrance well preserved as is the south side. Banks c.0.2 metres high built of stone, but low and spread to c.3 metres wide. 6 paces diameter. Exact location not fixed.  SS 799424. A low, circular, stone bank, forming the remains of a circular building 8.0 metres wide with a well defined entrance on the southern side, was recorded in 1981. The above National Grid Reference is very approximate in tha tthere are no visible features from which the site could be accurately fixed.  Centred at SS 7997 4237 are the remains of a prehistoric (possibly Bronze Age) hut circle. The feature consists of a subcircular stony bank 8.5 in diameter; the bank itself is 3 metres wide and 0.3 metres high. The area defined by the bank has been levelled into the hillside, so that the downslope (western) side, is the best defined. The southern part of the feature has been disturbed, and is occupied by a shallow pit and spoil debris beside it. Much of the interior is also uneven suggesting later disturbance.  MSO12396 was previously included with this record.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The hut circle is labelled but not depicted on 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO475 Unassigned: SMR file 33139.
- <2>XY SSO856 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. and Murless, B.. 1982. Somerset Archaeology 1981. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 126. 69-91. 64. [Mapped feature: #47230 ]
- <3> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. 51 (site 38).
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 June 1994.
- <5> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, SMR Officer, January 1998.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35303, Extant 25 May 2021.
- <7> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||SS 7997 4237 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6828
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE36
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35303
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33139
Record last edited
May 25 2021 3:48PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.