MSO10999 - Enclosure, East Pinford, Exmoor (Monument)
No summary available.
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Three curving lengths of stone bank c0.3m high and 3m wide. Defined by differential vegetational growth. Possible hillslope enclosure 73 paces diameter. No internal or entrance feature seen.  L-shaped attachment on W side 10 paces by 9 paces.  Centred at SS 8022 4256 is a sub-oval enclosure averaging 67 m in diameter; it lies on gentle, east-facing slopes above a steep escarpment forming the eastern side of East Pinford. The enclosure consists of a series of discontinuous, stony banks, emphasised - at the time of survey - by the fact that the area had been recently burnt off. The irregularity of the enclosing bank and its discontinuity, argue against the feature being a field or even a hillslope enclosure. Certainly its elevated position on the moor would suggest an earlier date. There is a lack of good evidence for internal settlement, although two slight platforms (A and B on plan) are visible. On balance this feature is best interpreted as an enclosed settlement of earlier prehistoric (?Bronze Age) date. Surveyed at 1:500 scale, 23-July-1996. 
- <1> SSO1363 Unassigned: McDonnell, R. 7/6/1982.
- <2> SSO856 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. and Murless, B.. 1982. Somerset Archaeology 1981. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 126. 69-91. 63.
- <3> SSO1396 Unassigned: McDonnell, R WAT. 04.07.84.
- <4> SSO1383 Report: McDonnell, R. 1985. Recommendations for the Management.... 52-3 (site 46).
- <5> SSO636 Map: 1996. SS84SW. 37.
- <6> SSO1825 Unassigned: RCHME.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 802 425 (46m by 46m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33138
Record last edited
Mar 10 2014 11:45AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.