MSO10982 - Stell and possible barrow, W end of Long Combe, Exmoor (Monument)
No summary available.
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (7)
Oval enclosure set in valley. Encloses area of c30mx20m defined by well preserved grass covered stone wall 1.5m high.  Entrance 1.3m wide on W side. Bank is faced on both sides with stone in traditional slanting style, 1.4m high, 2m wide at the base and 1.2m at the top. Encloses a natural mound or barrow.  Called "sheep pen" on OS 25" map.  A sheepfold, probably of 19th century date, centred at SS 8033 4274. It lies close to the junction of two valleys, in a sheltered location on the valley floor. Its precise position is dictated by a mound of natural material or morrraine, which the sheepfold encircles. The sheepfold comprises a sub-oval enclosure measuring 35.8 m north-south by 28 m west-east. It is defined by a well-preserved, stone-faced bank 2.3 m wide and 1.2 m high. There are traces of a quarry/drainage ditch on either side of the bank. The entrance, which is 1.5 m wide, is defined by well-made terminals of the enclosing bank. The interior of the sheepfold is featureless, but is dominated by the natural knoll, which presumably afforded additional shelter for livestock. 
- <1> SSO470 Unassigned: SMR file 33121.
- <2> SSO470 Unassigned: SMR file 33121.
- <3> SSO1547 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1978. 25" SS8042.
- <4> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8040.
- <5> SSO273 Aerial photograph: April 1972. HSL.UK.72-142 Run 81. 0020.
- <6> SSO1724 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1975. SS84SW(M).
- <7> SSO1383 Report: McDonnell, R. 1985. Recommendations for the Management.... 53 (site 48).
- <8> SSO416 Photograph: February 198. Slide (SCC Planning Department). 3.014.0099.
- <9> SSO139 Aerial photograph: 1990. DAP QP2 (1990) SCED.
- <10> SSO635 Map: 1995. SS84SW. 32.
- <11> SSO92 Unassigned: Committee for Rescue Archaeology in Avon, Gloucestershire and Somerset. 1982. 23/06/1982.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8033 4274 (34m by 43m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33121
Record last edited
Mar 10 2014 11:50AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.