MSO10863 - Possible undated rectangular enclosure on Pinkworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Subrectangular enclosure. [1-3] SS 7290 4145. A subrectangular enclosure seen by McDonnell  on aerial photographs. SS 7290 4155. The reference falls on a gentle southwest facing slope of improved ground which is now reverting back to rough grass and rushes. It is a damp area covered by extensive old peat cuttings and wet hollows and linear drainage. There is no trace of this alleged enclosure which may have been a misinterpretation of some of the peat cuttings [MMO2169] which tend to be rectangular in form.  N.B. The grid reference in  does not appear to match that provided for the original record. SS 7290 4145 falls within an area occupied by MMO2227, which may account for the transcribed features. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 3149 (April 1947).
- <2> SSO239 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-167 Run 73. 7588.
- <3>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7241C. [Mapped feature: #46978 ]
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 June 1995.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 27 January 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7290 4145 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6977
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW66
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 895557
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33001
Record last edited
Jan 27 2021 5:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.