MMO2227 - Post-medieval banks northeast of Pinkery Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Several post-medieval banks are visible on aerial photographs in fields northeast of Pinkery Farm, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7288 4143, the banks appear to enclose two drains, and measures approximately 75 metres long. They lie in an area of drainage and peat cutting and are likely to be related to this activity. They were most likely constructed around the same time as Pinkery Farm in the mid 19th Century; however, they are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting they were abandoned prior to publication in 1890. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 3106-07 (19 May 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #32876 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7288 4145 (86m by 70m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1471329 (Pastscape entry: 1471329)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW258
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1471329
Record last edited
Feb 10 2021 11:38AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.