MSO10803 - Milestone at Barlynch Woods, Brompton Regis (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Milestone. 1820s. Sandstone and cast iron. About 240 mm high, dressed stone somewhat eroded, cambered head, attached plaque with semi-circular headed central section inscribed in incised lettering "16 miles to Minehead".  The description of this milestone has been confused with that of MSO10804. This one should read 17 miles.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265603. First Listed on 04/08/1986.  Stone, Ashlar walls.  'M.S' and 'Minehead' noted on Second Edition OS map.  Consultation with English Heritage in December 2012 has resulted in listing descriptions and mapping for milestones 1237566 (265604) and 1345419 (265603) being amended. This monument is now linked to 1237566 (265604).  The building was visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A. 
- <1> SSO59 Index: 4/8/1986. 36th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park..
- <2> SSO2041 Unassigned: Webster, Chris Somerset County Council. 5/1/2005.
- <3> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <4> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <5> SSO1587 Map: Ordnance Survey. c.1904. Second Edition.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments.
- <7> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||SS 9339 2853 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1648/9/17
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10252
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 17411
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31338
Record last edited
May 27 2014 2:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.