MSO10796 - Cross in St Andrew's Churchyard, Withypool (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The churchyard cross dates to the 14th century and was restored in the late 20th century. Blue lias and Ham stone. Square, one stage calvary, octagonal socket broached to a square with inset stump of octagonal shaft, continued in Ham stone with gabled cross. Restored in memory of the rector. Not mentioned in Pooley, Old Crosses of Somerset, 1877.  Fragmentary remains of an ancient socket of a cross exist in the churchyard of Withypoole.  The cross consists of a step, socket stone and a small portion of the original shaft. A modern shaft and cross head have been added. See GP/AO/65/183/6.  It is situated about 6m S of the nave.  [SS 84643553] Cross (NR) Remains of (NAT).  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO1792 Monograph: Pooley, C. 1877. Old Stone Crosses of Somerset. P. 3.
- <3> SSO1689 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS83NW.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 29 November 1988.
- <5> SSO1465 Map: Ordnance Survey. c1903. 1:2500.
- <6> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. Palmer, J. F1 26/08/1965.
- <7> SMO1437 Photograph: CHURCHYARD CROSS AT ST. OS65/F183/6. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <8> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8463 3558 (2m by 1m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1076/12/164
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO8668 Information moved from
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO17022
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31299
Record last edited
Jul 12 2019 11:55AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.