MSO10766 - Tethingstone Cottage, Tivington Knowle (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse, now 2 dwellings. C17 altered C19 and C20. Random rubble local stone partly rendered, thatched roof hipped to left, brick stack right gable end, lateral stack with bread oven projection to left of entrance, circular stack rising at rear towards centre. Plan: possibly 3-cell and cross passage extended one bay left to form two 2-cell cottages, outshot at rear. One and a half storeys, 1:3:1:1: bays, first floor all 2-light dormers rising below eaves except second bay right, inserted ogee-headed light above inserted entrance to right hand cottage, ground floor left recessed bay, two 2-light casements left of stack, entrance to right, 2-light casements flanking second entrance. Interior not seen. Formerly known as Knowle Farmhouse.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265547. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  3-cell Cross passage plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Hipped, Gabled roof  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  Tethingstone Cottage is depicted and labelled on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #41144 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9346 4451 (14m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/9/133/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/9/133/2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31263
Record last edited
Oct 12 2021 11:27AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.