MSO10763 - Tivington Farmhouse, Tivington (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse. C17, enlarged and altered mid C19, south gable end and east front rebuilt mid C20. Rendered over rubble, thatched roofs, double Roman tiles, external stack west gable end, lateral stack south-west, lateral stack on north front adjoining porch. L-plan: entrance now on north front, full height porch with byre to right of through passage, south-west wing fronting road, originally 2-cell with cross passage and full height gabled porch, entrance now blocked and flanked by outshuts. North front: 2 storeys, 2-window frontage left of porch, all C19 3-light ogee-headed casements, first floor left rising through eaves, wall breaks forward slightly right, window set below eaves, lateral stack, ground floor central gabled porch with ogee headed doorway and plank door, full height gabled porch right of stack with applied half-timbering in gable end and chamfered semicircular headed doorway, probablly reset with plank door; mid C19 rubble farmbuilding to right not of special interest. Left return fronting road, central hipped thatched roof porch with 4-light chamfered mullioned window, blocked opening below, 2-light window right, gable end beyond, lateral stack left ground floor masked by outshots. Interior not seen; north range said to lack datable features with high ceilings in rear wing with deep chamfers and shallow step and runout stops. It is not clear which is the earliest section of the house. (VAG report, unpublished, SRO, March 1980; Photograph in NMR).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265544. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  L-plan. Stone, Render walls. Collar beam, Gabled roof  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is depicted and forms part of the group of buildings labelled "Tivington Farm" on the 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #40062 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9311 4557 (19m by 18m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524334 (Original Monarch entry: 524334)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/4/130
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8038
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW184
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 44343
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524334
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31260
Record last edited
Dec 1 2020 4:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.